Main Index | T. R. Nielsen Homepage | Bus Index | Trolleybus Index
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
In connecting to the opening of the county hospital of Gentofte in January 1927, the first trolley bus line was take in service in the north of Copenhagen at the 1st of February of the same year.
12 years later the first trolley bus line in Odense was opening and its happening at the 8th of august 1939.
Its have their greatest prevalence between the 18th of august 1953 and the 16th of November 1959, where the trolley buses in Odense droved for a last time.
Until the 16th of October 1971 was the trolley bus service phase out and since then its drive no Danish trolley buses and are only to be watch on museums
At the 1st of February 1927 the first trolleybus line of NESA was take in service and its drove between Hellerup and Jægersborg via the county hospital and the railway station in Gentofte. An important bus stop was the crossing Kildegaards Plads. To the service was purchased 5 trolleybuses of English origin, but they was very soon followed by further three pieces. In the first years they also be purchased 4 trailers.
At the 21st of May 1938 the trolleybus service was extended with further three lines; line 12 between Nørreport, Copenhagen, and Lyngby, line 24 between Nørreport, Copenhagen, and Jægersborg and line 26 between Hellerup and Søborg. The old trolleybus line get now the line number 25 and was shorten from Jægersborg to Gentofte. The trolleybuses from the twenties were painted in blue colour while the 12 new trolleybuses on the lines 12 and 24 be painted in yellow colour. The 7 of the 12 new trolleybuses were purchased by NESA, while the KS purchased other 5 trolleybuses. In the following year, 1939, the trolleybus line 12 was extended to Sorgenfri and NESA purchased further 2 trolleybuses.
During the World War 2, 1939 1945, the KS has purchased one new trolleybus and rebuilds three gasoline-powered buses to trolleybus service. During the war the trolleybus service together with the tramways, gasoline- and diesel bus service be restricted more times, who first to be normalized in 1952, where the night bus- and tramway service be take up again after 12 years break.
As from the July 1942 the trolleybus lines 25 and 26 be designate as line 26 and in the same year the NESA a trolleybus to be build. The special of this trolleybus was, that its was build of spares, they was purchased plentifully supplied with everything they need by starting of the first trolleybus line in Denmark
As from the changing of the timetable in November 1945, the line 12 was designated as line 23.
The KS has purchased their 4 last trolleybuses in 1951, whose reminds about the first diesel buses with under floor engines, who was purchased in the same year.
The 18th of August 1953 the trolleybus service was extended considerably, where the up to now line 26 drove on the following section Hans Knudsens Plads, Kildegårdskryds (the former Kildegaards Plads), Maltegårdsvej, Femvejen, Charlottenlund, Annasvej, Hellerup, Kildegårdskryds, Vangede, Søborg and vice versa, while the line 27 drove on the following section; Hans Knudsens Plads, Kildegårdskryds (the former Kildegaards Plads), Maltegårdsvej, Femvejen, Ordrup, Klampenborg, TelggårdsvejCharlottenlund, Annasvej, Hellerup, Kildegårdskryds, Vangede and vice versa.
Between 1949 and1953 was line 27 a diesel bus line, but only drove between Femvejen and Charlottenlund via Klampenborg.
In May 1963 the service on line 26 between Hans Knudsens Plads and Femvejen was cancelled and three months later, in august, the service on line 23 between Lyngby and Sorgenfri was cancelled.
In October 1963 its was got to the point, that the trolleybus service on the lines 23 and 24 be changed to diesel bus service.
In July 1968 the trolleybus service on the section between Hans Knudsens Plads and Femvejen was cancelled and it was set up a diesel bus line 26 on the same line.
On the 16th of October 1971 its was got to the point; the last trolleybus drove after nearly 45 years in service and from the next morning they drove only diesel buses on line 27. The line system from 1963 to 1968 has returned.
After the successive introduction of trolleybuses in Copenhagen and Gentofte, would also the OS introduce this form of service. The cause to this step was the growing of the town of Odense in the north to the Skibhusene. To this service was purchased 6 trolleybuses who was delivered in 1938, but they could first put into service at the 8th of August 1939. The street Skibhusvej who the trolleybuses should drive on should to be rebuild first an here drove tramways between 1926 and 1939 on the so-called Skibhuslinien.
Three weeks after the opening of the trolleybus service in Odense erupted the World War 2 and its also implied regular restrictions of the service. First in 1946 was the service normal again, already a year after the ending of the war.
The 30th of June 1952 the tramways in Odense drove for a last time in regular service together with the bus company Odense Omnibus who together with the old tramway company should go into the new bus company Odense Bytrafik (OB). The new bus company take over the trolleybuses that since the opening in 1939 has drove between the main railway station in Odense and Emilievej on Skibhusvej.
By the new traffic system that was forced at the 1st of July 1952, should the trolleybuses drive on line 1 between Emilievej and Hunderup Skov. First could the trolleybuses only drive on their old line, while the diesel buses drove between the main railway station and Hunderup Skov. The 19th of December 1952 could the trolleybuses drive on the whole section, but a pure trolleybus service could not be offered of the cause of the number of trolleybuses (6 pieces) who was available for the service. The 6 small diesel buses, type Volvo B513 from 1948 and 1949, who was take over from the Odense Omnibus, was set into the service on line 1, because they has the same size like the trolleybuses.
In 1953 they was buy a trolleybus by NESA, who was build as the test bus of the companies Scandia in Randers and Thomas B. Thrige in Odense. The both companies mean that trolleybus has a future in Denmark. In the winter periods between 1953/54 and 1958/59 has OB always rent two trolleybuses from 1927 and 1942 by 1942 by NESA. The cause was that in the winter timetable should drive eight buses while in the summer timetable only should drive six buses.
The 16th of November 1959 at 17.45 oclock drove the last trolleybus from Emilievej in direction to Hunderup Skov. In the Centrum of Odense on Klingenberg must the passengers change over to a diesel bus, as the trolleybus with departure from Klingenberg at 18.00 oclock only should carry the guests invited!
All trolleybuses were used until ca. 1971 as workmens hut by the firm of contractors Hans Jørgensen & Søn. Since they apply to be missing, which only to be regret.
Only in Copenhagen and Odense we could drive with a trolleybus, while Århus newer introduced this form of service. But after the bombing raid against the depot of Århus Sporveje at 22nd august 1944 was considerations to introduce trolleybuses in Århus, who should replaced both tramway lines and more of the gasoline- and diesel bus lines.
In Scandinavia today they are only the Norwegian town Bergen could offer a trolleybus service. Here could also be found articulated trolleybuses. In the Norwegian towns, Drammen, Stavanger and Oslo were also here earlier trolleybuses.